Friday 5 August 2011

Chocolate Chip Walnut Brownies - Recipe Test

>

Chocolate Chip Walnut Brownies. I think the name tells it all. These brownies are described as creamy and moist by the baker, a new recipe I am testing out.

This is a brownies recipe from Leila Lindholm's new baking book "A piece of cake". I was so happy to see a new baking book by this swedish baker at the library, so I borrowed it right away. There were a lot of interesting recipes, but my eye caught the chocolate chip walnut brownies recipe which looked inviting. Even though I am more than satisfied with my old brownies recipe (which I will stick to from now on), I decided to give these a try. The difference between these and my recipe were not the ingredients, but the procedure. While my brownies starts by whisking sugar and eggs, this recipe asked to beat sugar and butter until light and creamy. The procedure of these brownies were just like the procedure of a cake, only the baking powder was missing.
These brownies were also topped with a fudge icing which I omitted.


I ended up with a cake-like texture on the brownies and I had my doubts to have let them in oven for too long. Freshly hot from the oven they did not really impress me, they were lacking the fudginess and stickiness of the typical brownies. To be honest they were also tasting like a cake and feedback from brownies lovers at home told me the same. Anyways, I had them in fridge overnight and the next day I could see they had become more chewy and they actually made good company to ice cream.




I am sharing the recipe for those who want to give these brownies a try. I would like feedback on your results.


Makes 12 brownies pieces


I n g r e d i e n t s


350 g butter, softened
6 dl sugar
3 dl cocoa powder
1/2 dl dark syrup *
6 egg, beaten
3 dl allpurpose flour
(400 g) white chocolate, roughly chopped
250 g walnuts, roughly chopped


* If you do not have light syrup available, you can make your own by adding 1,5 tbsp water and 1 tbsp brown sugar to 1 dl of light syrup


Preheat oven to 175C and cover a baking pan 30 x 30 cm with baking paper




1. Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy



2. Whisk in cocoa powder and syrup (I added the cocoa powder at the end, because I was going to take out a little batch of batter for blondies, since my dad is not a huge fan of chocolate)



3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time



4. Fold in the flour



5. Add roughly chopped chocolate and walnuts in the batter



5. Pour the batter in prepared baking pan



Bake in the middle of oven for about 15 - 25 minutes, or till you stick in a baking pin and it comes out a bit sticky


Let the brownies cool while you prepare the fudge icing or just sprinkle some icing sugar and serve!


Fudge Icing


3 dl cream
1 dl milk
1 dl light syrup
1 ts ginger, ground
400 g dark chocolate, finely chopped


1. Let the cream, milk, syrup and ginger come to boil and remove from heat
2. Add the finely chopped chocolate in the hot mixture and stir till the chocolate melts in
3. Spread the icing on the brownies cake and garnish with some walnuts


Let the brownies cool in the fridge


Blondies..



.. and Chocolate Chip Walnut Brownies served with ice cream and chocolate sauce